If you are a gaming enthusiast, then you might be familiar with Xbox. It is the best gaming console Microsoft has to offer with a number of great games and features. Xbox One is a pretty popular console and people belonging to all ages enjoy it equally. But there are some issues with this gaming console as well.
You might have heard or seen many times that in the middle of gaming sessions, your Xbox One console gets turned off automatically. The one major reason when Xbox randomly turns off is Xbox overheating. When Xbox One gets overheated it tends to shut down in order to prevent any possible damage to the hardware. If you are also facing this issue, then you are definitely not alone.
Lucky for you, Xbox One has been designed to alert you or take precautionary measures when the system is getting heated up. Below mentioned are some of the indicators of an overheated Xbox One console. When you see these signs make sure to do something about it.
- The first indicator is that you will start to hear loud humming sounds. It means your fan is detecting the heat and is working to its fullest potential to cool things down. Working of fans at the maximum speed is a clear sign that your Xbox One console is extremely overheated and needs to cool down.
- Pop-ups and banner alerts are something your Xbox One shows you when it is having some kind of trouble. When your console begins to heat up you will see these banner alerts and pop-ups.
- When your Xbox One console is overheated, it will automatically enter a lower power state. In addition to this, you will also see a visible decrease in performance. The moment you start to see the performance decreasing, know that your console is starting to heat up.
- The last thing you experience is a major and obvious sign of overheating, and that is shutting down the console. Xbox One will shut down automatically when the temperature is too high inside which will save the internal components from permanent damage.
These are some of the signs or indicators of an overheated Xbox One console but the causes of heating up might be different. We will be talking about all the things you need to know if you are also facing this issue.
Why is Xbox One Overheating?
Before we get into any Xbox one overheating fix, let us first find out why your Xbox console is getting overheated in the first place. There are a number of reasons for this problem, and we will be looking at some of them, so you know how to prevent the console from getting overheated.
We all know that the CPU and GPU of any device whether it is a laptop, a desktop, or even a gaming console emits heat when it is working to the fullest potential and running high-res demanding programs or games. When the heat is emitted, the temperature starts to rise which causes the heat.
In this situation if the temperature outside or the environmental temperature is not suitable or if it is high, then the heat dissipation process will be slowed down. It will also make your console heat up because it is already too hot outside so how can your Xbox remain cool?
To prevent this, make sure your game console is placed in a place where the temperature is not too high. Keep good air ventilation wherever you are playing your games. Also, avoid placing the Xbox console in direct sunlight or where it gets really hot.
Blockage in Cooling Fans
Cooling fans are the most important component of any gaming console or gaming computer. These cooling fans are responsible for dissipating the heat so you can enjoy interruption-free gaming. It means that you should always keep the heat vents and fans both clean.
When the dust particle will settle inside the vents or on fans it will hinder the heat dissipation process. If the vents are blocked by these dust particles, the heat will not be able to get out and it will start to be collected inside the console. It can cause the temperature to rise inside your console and can damage the internal components.
So, make sure the cooling fans are always clean and dust particles are not blocking or covering up the heat vents.
Sometimes when your Xbox console is too overworked then it can cause issues. Playing heavy and demanding games for too long and not taking care of the maintenance will make your console tired. Make sure that your console is not always on and give it a little rest once in a while. If it is not getting the break it needs, then it will automatically shut down.
Make sure you are taking care of the maintenance and giving it the rest which is required.
Ventilation System Problem
The ventilation system of your gaming console means the heat vents and cooling fan along with other components, which make sure the heat dissipation is carried the right way. If your cooling fans are broken or not working, heat will obviously not dissipate, resulting in your Xbox console getting overheated.
Thermal lubricant is a paste which is present in the CPU. It basically controls the temperature to keep things cool. If by any chance the thermal lubricant is dried up, then you will face a heating problem. This is not that expensive, and you can buy it easily from anywhere in the market.
You can change the thermal lubricant yourself after every few years when you feel that the temperature is rising.
Airflow is the most important thing to keep in mind wherever you decide to store your computers or gaming consoles. If the airflow is not good around your gaming console, then you will fail to keep it cool as the lack of airflow will affect the heat dissipation process.
Make sure there is no cover or other stuff on your gaming console or even near it which can stop the airflow.
Xbox One Overheating Fix
Now that we have gotten everything out of the way, let us see how you can fix this problem. Below mentioned are some easy steps to follow if you don’t want your Xbox console to overheat and shut down.
- The first thing to keep in mind is to always keep the Xbox console in a well-ventilated area where there is sufficient air flow. Avoid placing your console in closed spaces or where the airflow will be blocked.
- Make sure there are no other electric appliances placed on top of it as well. There should also not be any heat sources near the Xbox console as it can raise the temperature pretty quickly.
- Avoid placing the game console on soft surfaces. Soft surfaces mean couch, bed, rug, or other surfaces like that. It is because the heat which is coming out from the console will be absorbed by these soft surfaces, and it will raise the temperature of that particular area.
- Make sure the surface on which you place your game is always cool and not heat-absorbent. A hot surface is never good for your console or power cords.
- You might have seen many times that most people connect a wireless or mini speaker with their gaming console to enjoy the in-game audio perfectly. But placing low-frequency speakers or subwoofers near your gaming console is not good at all. These are heat-generating and high-vibrating sources which can heat up your gaming console much faster than usual.
- Keeping your gaming console neat and clean is more important than you actually think. As we mentioned earlier, if dust particles get stuck inside the heat vents or on the internal components of the game console then it will prevent heat from getting dissipated properly. Make sure you clean the heat vents of your game console regularly and try to have the game console serviced after every few months. Clean the side panels and exhaust grill with a cotton cloth or tissue.
Well, this was the article, and we hope it covered everything you needed to know. We tried to explain the Xbox One and Xbox series x overheating and also mentioned some useful ways to fix the Xbox One overheating fix. Next time you face this issue just make sure to keep the above-mentioned things in mind and you will be good to go.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
What do I do if my Xbox one keeps turning off?
If your Xbox One keeps turning off, then you should just let it rest and keep it turned off for at least 30 minutes. This can be caused if your game console is too warm to continue. Keep it off for a few minutes and then restart to see if the problem persists.
Why is my Xbox turning off when I turn it on?
The main reason for this issue can be that the cooling fans of the Xbox console are broken or there is something wrong with the hardware. In this situation, it is recommended that you send the console to a professional and have it checked.
What happens if Xbox one gets too hot?
If your Xbox console gets too hot, then it will automatically shut down to prevent any hardware damage. It will remain off until the temperature is back to normal.